last person to post wins!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning, so it looks like I need surgery on a cyst I have in my wrist. Have had it for a few years but now its pinching a nerve and causing all sorts of pain. Never thought I would have a doctor tell me to do less work. I wonder if they can just knock me out and fix me all up at once.

At any rate I'm headed to town to grade out a new driveway and RV pad for a customer.

I envy you Tom. I need to get the heck out of here and go somewhere a bit cooler.

I had a conversation with a 40 year old fireman last night, who suffered a massive stroke. He was much like our forum's worker bee Chris. He didn't take time to smell the roses, and now that's about all he can do. Hint-hint Chris.

Good morning crew.

I envy you Tom. I need to get the heck out of here and go somewhere a bit cooler.

I had a conversation with a 40 year old fireman last night, who suffered a massive stroke. He was much like our forum's worker bee Chris. He didn't take time to smell the roses, and now that's about all he can do. Hint-hint Chris.

Good morning crew.

Good morning Mark, you are so right about taking time to kick back and enjoy the moment and family.

I missed a lot of stuff when my kids were young. Trying to keep the lights on and food on the table was was usually a 60 hour work week. I'm not complaining, those were my choices. I'm so thankful I have a chance to enjoy the grandkids, baseball, soccer and flag football games. You never know when you've seen your last sunrise, enjoy the moment, enjoy your family and friends, enjoy a nice cold beer on a hot summer afternoon. I've learned a valuable lesson in life, I can always make money, but never enough to buy time.

Working graveyard and all holidays for 25 years, I have a huge regret that I was absent from my children as they grew up. This is something I will forever be sorry for.

I missed a lot of stuff when my kids were young. Trying to keep the lights on and food on the table was was usually a 60 hour work week. I'm not complaining, those were my choices. I'm so thankful I have a chance to enjoy the grandkids, baseball, soccer and flag football games. You never know when you've seen your last sunrise, enjoy the moment, enjoy your family and friends, enjoy a nice cold beer on a hot summer afternoon. I've learned a valuable lesson in life, I can always make money, but never enough to buy time.

This sounds like the story of my working career only it cost me a divorce.

That was my goal when moving here. Still is, just had to postpone it a few years. Opening the ice cream shop should get me to super part time construction. Having the wife and kids help with the ice cream shop is alot of fun for all of us. I just need to get it done before it kills me. I've never had so many health issues and every one of them is because of working to much.

I worked for 46 years before retirement.
A large part of that was in the military, Army Airborne Ranger, wounded three times, reported as an MIA twice, one time for three weeks, Trashed nearly every part of my body. Broken both legs, left leg twice tibia and femur, left arm, right wrist, both collar bones at the same time, nine ribs, shattered three vertabra, ruptuered six disks in my back and totaly destroyed my left knee, I currently have nine vertabra fused in my back with rods/screws and cadaver bone grafts, screws in my left leg from the break, and over 20 pieces of shrapnel still in me, I have no hearing in my left ear at all, lost parts to traumatic amputation from shrapnel, recently had some 'spots' removed for malignant melanoma. Some times I hurt so bad I can hardly walk, when I do walk I limp, BUT I keep doing what I want to.
I was gone a LOT from 'home', wayway too much, destroyed way too many relationships, even with my immediate family. Grand parents gone decades ago, parents gone, father in 1969 while I was in VN, I didn't even come home, mother about 12 years ago, my twin sister when we were 5, and my sole younger brother five years ago... I am the last of the family.
My regrets, NOT HAVING Spent time with the family and/or with people that cared about me.
For those of you that do still have a family but think a job is the important thing... YOU ARE WRONG !!!
Take time for family, kids and friends, they NEED you, not your 'job'.

STOP and enjoy your family and friends, you do not get time back.

A large part of that was in the military, Army Airborne Ranger, wounded three times, reported as an MIA twice, one time for three weeks, Trashed nearly every part of my body. Broken both legs, left leg twice tibia and femur, left arm, right wrist, both collar bones at the same time, nine ribs, shattered three vertabra, ruptuered six disks in my back and totaly destroyed my left knee, I currently have nine vertabra fused in my back with rods/screws and cadaver bone grafts, screws in my left leg from the break, and over 20 pieces of shrapnel still in me, I have no hearing in my left ear at all, lost parts to traumatic amputation from shrapnel, recently had some 'spots' removed for malignant melanoma. Some times I hurt so bad I can hardly walk, when I do walk I limp, BUT I keep doing what I want to.
I was gone a LOT from 'home', wayway too much, destroyed way too many relationships, even with my immediate family. Grand parents gone decades ago, parents gone, father in 1969 while I was in VN, I didn't even come home, mother about 12 years ago, my twin sister when we were 5, and my sole younger brother five years ago... I am the last of the family.
My regrets, NOT HAVING Spent time with the family and/or with people that cared about me.
For those of you that do still have a family but think a job is the important thing... YOU ARE WRONG !!!

I was married when I was young and never had time for family. When my youngest son was born, I quit working Sundays and most Saturdays. Taxes took all that I made on those days anyway.

My life has been work, all work. I dropped out of high school to work, worked three jobs when I was 16. Got my ged when i was 19 so i could join the army, a month or so before i were to leave i got broad sided and had a few bulging discs so I couldn't go. By the time I was healed the army didnt care to take me. I continued working and usually several jobs at a time. I got into pipeline when I was 18. By 25 I was running a large pipeline company and by 28 I started my own. My whole motivation was I grew up poor, like dirt floor poor, there was never enough and we ate shit food. My parents divorced when i was 7 and my mom struggled to take care of us, my dad was nice but just wasnt around and always failed to show up. My grandfather was and is the best man you could ever think of, he taught me everything i know along with my mom. Mom died in 2013 at 59 from heart failure, she was a type 1 diabetic. Dad died last Christmas. Grandpa is still here at 92. I ruined every relationship i had when i was younger because i always chose work over them. I met my wife 15 years ago and she is the best person ever, we have never faught and have three awesome girls. In California I had a successful company that I would never have to worry about money again. It was my grandfather who always told me to work less and enjoy life more, he did that with his family yet he was very successful but not financially until recently. Both his daughters and wife have passed away and that is what motivated my move. Skip to now and I dont have much cash but I am happier than I have been in a long time with no stress. I have built a small empire that when I am gone my kids will have a good head start in life. I am trying to slow down with work but it takes work to be able to. I would already be there if it weren't for my shoulders going bad on me. I'm hoping I can get the building done and between that, my rentals and a little tractor work I can have plenty of time with the kids. My only regret is I have probably ruined my body enough that a long life is probably not in the cards. I currently have 7 bad discs that they want to do surgery on, both shoulders need surgery, a bad hip and several small issues. I feel like I'm crippled. I never thought I could ever hurt like I do.

Trust me when I say, 'I know pain'...
My Grandfather was my inspiration. He died at 102, he fell from a roof actualling roofing the house by himself. He had GRIT.

Trust me when I say, 'I know pain'...
My Grandfather was my inspiration. He died at 102, he fell from a roof actualling roofing the house by himself. He had GRIT.
My grandfather has fired 3 gardner's this year, they cant get it right so he is doing it himself. He lives in a 4 bedroom house and does all his own maintenance. He had a heart problem last year and the doc told him to slow down. If he slows down he will die. He is still the president if the swedish club of Los Angeles and holds functions several times a month. Still rides his motorcycle too.

Latest posts

Back