Week #2 Rant/Marning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coonash

Be a Pirate
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm ranting or Marning right now.
That's right. Going on my second week medically unable to work. I couldn't let Thom have all the fun.
1. C5-C6 right central extruded disc with thecal sac and cord effacement on the right side.
2. C8-C7 severe left foramen stenosis
3. No fracture, subluxation, or focal bone lesion identified.

I've had a job since high school. I was taught you want something better, do what yo need to get a better job. That's why this is so tough, I stay on pain medicine right now the prohibits me from driving.

Basically, I can't understand how there are people in this world that do what they can to not work and live off of the government. I like my toys and being able to do what I want when I want(within reason).

My next appointment is on the 27th, unless I can bitch enough to get it moved up. So, my new routine is wake up, take a handful of pills, eat, shower.
I get dressed up like I'm going somewhere just in case.

If it sounds like a ramble it's because these stupid pills are really screwing with me now. I might say something 2 or 3 times and not even realize it.

Ash

I had C-5, C-6 & C-7 fused together a couple years ago. No pain since then (in the neck, anyway). That surgery was well worth it!

Having my initial consultation with a surgeon about a hernia this coming Friday. Will probably be going under the knife again soon. :mad:

I'm really trying to avoid fusion, I've read lots about added stress on the surrounding disks. I don't know how it will affect my other activities that I'm not ready to give up, like whitewater kayaking. I've had injections in my lower back for similar issues, just not this bad.
I'm looking at a replacement procedure called Mobi-C. But, It's only good for 2 disks.
I'll keep everyone filled in as I go.
At least being on short term disability is going to keep the bills payed.

I could drop dead any day, but at 57 I've never had surgery (except for a few nuts and bolts in a broken hand), don't take pills of any kind, and don't feel all that bad except for the usual aches and pains associated with getting ancient.

Drink vodka, stop marning and never, ever go to see a doctor. You will feel better immediately.

It's not Marning in your case Ash.

The mechanic at the utility in Florida went through it. All his life he lugged small block 350's around (minus the heads) and became a heavy equip mech later on. Then he lugged big hydo cylinders and other big truck parts. He blew a few disks and was in a lot of pain. Had to have them fused to get rid of the pain. The only complaint he has now is he can't drive his T-Bucket anymore. It is the baddest one in town and will snap your head back when romped on. Overall he is glad he had the surgery, though.

Fine, it's not Marning so stop Ashing Ash cheers
Fine, I'll stop! Positive note, the first Doc called tonight and are able to get me in tomorrow. This is the guy that just does injections. So at least I can start getting some opinions on what to do. I don't think injections are the answer, but at least the ball is now rolling.

I'm really trying to avoid fusion, I've read lots about added stress on the surrounding disks. I don't know how it will affect my other activities that I'm not ready to give up, like whitewater kayaking. I've had injections in my lower back for similar issues, just not this bad.
I'm looking at a replacement procedure called Mobi-C. But, It's only good for 2 disks.
I'll keep everyone filled in as I go.
At least being on short term disability is going to keep the bills payed.

I had C-2-thru C-6 done.
They went in through the front of my neck.
I knew when I woke up the the surgery helped,as there was no pain in my arms.
Recovery,you are going to have to take it easy for a minimum of 6 months,full recovery will take a year.
The surgery,they inserted metal cages to surround the disk,next they drew bone marrow from each hip and made a paste to glue the cages into place.
It took a full year for the new bone to fuse.

The Bad:
The part that hurt the most was having a HUGE needle(s) inserted into each hip to extract the marrow,it took about 6 weeks before that stopped hurting, and by hurt,I mean it hurt.

The Good:
If you smoke,they will make you stop before they do the procedure.
I don't have to sleep in a recliner.
I still have some pain in my arms,but it is nothing like it was before surgery.
They give you some really good pain med's.
I had a six month vacation from work,which for me I had it done in the fall and recovered during the winter so I really didn't miss that much work.

Wow, no bone marrow for my surgery.

I'm part dead guy.

They used pieces of bone from a cadaver to replace the discs that were shot, with a plate screwed to the front of the spine to hold everything in place while it was growing together. Recovery time was 3-4 months, but that was the time for the fusion to be complete. I was up and around and basically back to normal within a month. And yes, the missing pain in my arm is/was well worth the surgery!

No major surgeries for this old coot either. Been laid up with leg brace from hip to ankle from dropping rear of truck on knee cap without breaking or tearing anything. Just smashed it thin. Ran over by the discs of a tractor...dumb story... got 3 stitches in ankle where the achilles tendion is. It missed the tendon by 1/8". Tossed from 98' 30' Motion Cat power boat at 80mph and got a sprang wrist and ankle along with a lot of bruises.

Add in all of the teenage antics of dumb attempts and I should have broken several bones or messed up my back from over lifting at work and such. I am grateful I still have no issues as such.

I wish the best for all of you suffering from it.

ok,,,I 'held off long as i could, do not do it.

i am fused L4-L5 with 2 bars and 4 scrws with a cage in the middle.
I was on morphine and hydrocodone for 10 years before i got off that shit.
my back hurts every damn day just as bad as it did before surgery.
AND....the disc above and below L3-L4 and L5-S1 hve ruptured because of the strain .
i had to learn to wipe my ass with my left han because of the fusion i can reach my ass with my right hand
my wife has to wash my back because i cant twist around.

thats my story, you want xrays and mris, i have them..somewhere

I popped my back by picking up a ridged 300 power threader and walking out the trailor with it

he is something to think about, I lost a job paying 85 k after my surgery, could not do my job any more
my wage dropped to around 35k big mf chunk of scratch.

Latest posts

Back