JK back spacing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

Reaction score
So came over from the old forum and hoping there is somewhere here now that can help me out. I've run into an enclosed trailer issue. Wheel wells are 78" and Jeep is about 80". Can't build ramps to go over since they are 10" and I only have 8" of clearance to the roof. Remaining option I can think of is to get some "roller" tires to put on the front. Trying to stay cheap and having a hard time figuring out needed backspacing. I can check the tires I have but not sure if I can get away with less. Jeep will only really be going straight with the tires on.

For tires I can get some for free from my neighbor, he has a ton of them.

Oh and the Jeep started out as a Sahara.

Now I have a question for you.
Build the 10 inch ramps, and try it as the hood will be the highest part not the roof since jeep will be at an angle.
And if it doesn't work out try airing the front tires down some.....drive in....unload at destination and reinflate front tires.
No idea if it would work but maybe worth a try before you buy new front tires.

What he said.

Or go buy new axles, they are cheap. I had both mine replaced a few months ago on an equipment trailer and it cost me 450 bucks. As long as you get ones that will take all your existing hardware you can get wider ones and rebuild your wheel wells or do as I did and just run them over until they are crushed down enough to be out of the way.

Why can't they just build a wider trailer.

Now I have a question for you.
Build the 10 inch ramps, and try it as the hood will be the highest part not the roof since jeep will be at an angle.
And if it doesn't work out try airing the front tires down some.....drive in....unload at destination and reinflate front tires.
No idea if it would work but maybe worth a try before you buy new front tires.

I can give that a try, I will video it too. In case you are wrong I can curse you out. :) Thanks for the idea.

Why can't they just build a wider trailer.

Transportation laws limit the total width of the trailer and the trailer tire width is set by the max load rating of the trailer. Combine all of that and you end up with 78". If I had gotten a 7K lb trailer I would have 83" between fenders. At the time I had a Tundra so figured it can pull 10K might as well get a 10K trailer. Now I have a Ram 3500 dually so the trailer is still undersigned for the truck. I did see an awesome 35' aluminum goose neck with a camper unit on the front. For a mere $150K I could have gotten it too. :\

The company that built the trailer is looking into other way the trailer may be able to be modified.

Mine is a 10k trailer and I have the same issues.

Get a deck over trailer and all problems solved except you had to buy a new trailer and loose money on an old one.

Get a deck over trailer and all problems solved except you had to buy a new trailer and loose money on an old one.

And it isn't an enclosed trailer any more.

I need to get a BIG deck over and then make a removable container to put on it. I should price one out with the people that make the $150K one I mentioned above.

Just get a real truck trailer and put ramps out the back, better yet a fridge unit so it has AC.

Latest posts

Back