Craftsman vs husky tool box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few years back I purchased a 52 inch husky tool box. It cost me 648 bucks.

Today I went out to purchase the husky 61 inch box for 748, I checked online and they had several in stock or I could order online. So I drove to home depot. Went inside the store and they had literally 5 tool boxes and none that size. The closest they had was a 41 inch for 828 that had a light and some other bs I dont need. I checked the website and as it refreshed it said none in stock and unavailable to order online. I was slightly pissed. I went to the contractor desk and asked them about it and they said they have not had any instock at all. I was pretty sure their website was doing some funny stuff because before I left the site showed they had a lot more than they actually did and the only thing I did was refresh the page when I got there. I left and went yo lowes since I already towed a trailer 45 minutes to grab this thing.

Lowes had about 40 different boxes in stock to choose from and the help there was 200 percent better than depot. I picked up the craftsman 52 inch box for 825, a little more than I wanted to spend but I hate dragging things out. I decided since I have all craftsman cabinets in my home shop I'll swap my husky with this craftsman and take the husky to my work shop.

So now that I have them home and side by side I can see the differences since I'm sure they are both made over seas.
The husky box is all welded on the corners as the craftsman is folded and screwed.
They both say the drawers can handle 100 pounds and the craftsman has soft close drawers. The craftsman drawers are a lot harder to open but that could be because they are new.

The husky came with drawer liner and craftsman did not. It cost an extra 60 bucks for the drawer liner.

The craftsman has a power strip on the top opening part which is nice.

The husky has three sets of commercial grade casters and tge craftsman has two sets of very weak looking casters.

The craftsman bottom box is 18 deep and top box 16 deep.

The husky bottom box is 18 deep and top box 18 deep.

The craftsman box has 10 drawers lower and 8 upper

The husky has 12 drawers lower and one is a full width drawer which is mice for sockets and 6 drawers upper.

The husky box sits about 4 inches taller than the craftsman.

All in all the husky feels way more stout and feels like it will last far longer than the craftsman. I've been beating my husky for about 6 years now and many of the craftsmans in the store were full of dents. It feels as if the metal is much thinner on the craftsman.

After Sears sold Craftsman a few years back, they started making everything in China. I hit Sears during the changeover when they had both. Thy were like night and day. I bought 3 sets of the old 6 pt sockets, that was all they had, and they were marked down. They had no 6 pt ones in the new junk.

After Sears sold Craftsman a few years back, they started making everything in China. I hit Sears during the changeover when they had both. Thy were like night and day. I bought 3 sets of the old 6 pt sockets, that was all they had, and they were marked down. They had no 6 pt ones in the new junk.
I'm not happy with the new craftsman tools. I have a lot of the American ones but the new China junk is no better than any other China junk. I wish I could afford snap-on.

I'm not happy with the new craftsman tools. I have a lot of the American ones but the new China junk is no better than any other China junk. I wish I could afford snap-on.
Back many years ago, I was a Toyota mechanic. Most of my Snap-On tools were stolen a few years ago. Best tools made. Matco is not bad either. SK tools were good years ago, have not seen any new ones. Don't know if they are still made.

Back many years ago, I was a Toyota mechanic. Most of my Snap-On tools were stolen a few years ago. Best tools made. Matco is not bad either. SK tools were good years ago, have not seen any new ones. Don't know if they are still made.
I have a bunch of SK tools. I try and get old tools from yard sales and auctions. I just bought three full socket sets of 3/4" drive up to 2-3/8" one SK, one proto and one tiawan for 80 bucks. I have some snap-on but not a lot. I'd buy more if I had a truck that would come by.

Latest posts

Back