Ugh, rental property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor

I've ignored you
Reaction score
Allow me to Marn....

My first house has been a rental for about 5 years now. Couldn't sell it w/o losing my ass, so there it was. I've had the same tenant the entire time. Until May.

He sent me a letter, instead of rent. It said that he was breaking the lease, and moved.

Instead of building a deck this summer on the house I live in, it is time to sink more money into the house I don't live in. I took this entire next week off of work so that I can try to get this place showable soon.

This week's plan:
All new flooring is going in (ripped up carpet today)
New doors to all the rooms
New baseboard/trim
Paint entire interior
Replace garage service door
Replace rear storm door
Remove all the crap landscaping they did (progress was made today)
All the other crap.....

The wife's been helpful. She's got 8+ hours into cleaning the kitchen so far.
The lawn is terrible.

TL;DR: DOes anyone want to over pay for a house in N. Illinois? I would be eternally grateful.

Sorry to hear hoss.. I know the struggle.. It's been 2 years now and I still own my old house and my new one...

I've got a nice condo on the market I'm trying to sell that my daughter and son in law lived in for 6 years. Just dumped 10k into it, waiting buy the phone for the real estate lady to call....crickets.

we figured out the real estate game when we sold a house in texas

offer the realtor a $1,000.00 bonus and all of a sudden, like magic, activity and offers come in
when 24 hours age, they were doing "all we can"

How many sq feet and how much is the monthly rent? Curious how much it differs from here.

880 sq ft and I was getting 1200. 2.5 detached garage and a 150 sq ft shed as well. Close to a recreational lake and an elementary school. Only 3 miles from the commuter train to Chicago.

I learned that lesson the hard way when I thought I knew it all.
I had 5 rentals when I was 30, they turned into a fulltime job.

Allow me to Marn....

My first house has been a rental for about 5 years now. Couldn't sell it w/o losing my ass, so there it was. I've had the same tenant the entire time. Until May.

He sent me a letter, instead of rent. It said that he was breaking the lease, and moved.

Instead of building a deck this summer on the house I live in, it is time to sink more money into the house I don't live in. I took this entire next week off of work so that I can try to get this place showable soon.

This week's plan:
All new flooring is going in (ripped up carpet today)
New doors to all the rooms
New baseboard/trim
Paint entire interior
Replace garage service door
Replace rear storm door
Remove all the crap landscaping they did (progress was made today)
All the other crap.....

The wife's been helpful. She's got 8+ hours into cleaning the kitchen so far.
The lawn is terrible.

TL;DR: DOes anyone want to over pay for a house in N. Illinois? I would be eternally grateful.
No wonder they moved out! LOL

My wife said that she thinks they are the type (and the evidence supports it) to never clean and decide that it is time to leave when it reaches a level that even they can't stand.

Sorry i had to go man but my vacuum cleaner broke so....

I wasn't able to work on the house today. :(

My youngest brother's water heater needed replacement. Once I got there to help him, I discovered that he owns like 5 tools. I did pick up the new flooring for the house at least. I just got home from dropping it off and swapping the old man's truck back for my Charger.

And Vin, just move your job. My wife figured out how to work from home. It was a PITA, but the end result is nice.

Last edited:
I miss my charger. had a 2013 RT, it was fun.

I do an hour each way with tolls. Suck it up, buttercup. Plus, there are better ways to get between those two towns that don't involve tolls. I really don't want to rent it again, nor do I want to rent it to someone I know. Could go bad.

I only did a couple hours today. We've been working pretty solid since Saturday, with the one day off to fix my brother's house. He's not necessarily nearby. I push papers for a living, so I need to pace myself.

Anyone want to guess the which ones are 'before' and which ones are this week?

DSC_1042.jpg DSC_1049.jpg DSC_1078.jpg DSC_1096.jpg DSC_1139.jpg DSC_1191.jpg DSC_1207.jpg DSC_1211.jpg DSC_1220.jpg DSC_1250.jpg

Last edited:
On the plus side, today is the first day I walked in and it didn't smell like a shitty apartment.

DSC_1259.jpg IMG_20160613_212316.jpg IMG_20160613_212338.jpg IMG_20160613_212349.jpg IMG_20160614_184125.jpg DSC_0017.jpg DSC_0036.jpg IMG_20160614_173043.jpg IMG_20160614_184136.jpg

Last edited:
And a few more. My wife's been doing a lot of painting. She is blessed with my height as well. The paint actually goes to the ceiling as of this afternoon.

DSC_0039.jpg DSC_0042.jpg DSC_0045.jpg DSC_0075.jpg DSC_0077.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back