Ugh, rental property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hory sheet, did a bunch of cracked out animals live there? That's some gross shit, dude.

That would be a more reasonable explanation. They had children living in that shit.

I heard a ton of crappy stories from the neighbors once they left. They don't appear to be missed.

The house was 100x better when they got it.

That would be a more reasonable explanation. They had children living in that shit.

I heard a ton of crappy stories from the neighbors once they left. They don't appear to be missed.

The house was 100x better when they got it.
I feel bad for them youngins.

I'll tell you a little story.
Last year at this time I was fighting with the dickhead kid that owned the house next to me,but rented it out.
The renter,his friend worked nights in the oilfields and often times wasn't home for days.
This guy thought it was cool to let the 2 little yappie dogs out at 11pm and bark all fucking night.
I spent a MONTH with no sleep,talked to the police(useless),prosecutor and went to council meetings,the only thing that ever came of it afte a month was a $100 citation.
Then he started leaving the dog's inside,un-created 24/7,within 8 months they totally destroyed the house,the smell was so bad we could smell it next door.
The Health dept finally stepped in,all this for what? Lack of common sense.

I told the kid,let it be a learning lesson,expensive one at that.

About 45 minutes with tolls.
I do an hour each way with tolls. Suck it up, buttercup. Plus, there are better ways to get between those two towns that don't involve tolls. I really don't want to rent it again, nor do I want to rent it to someone I know. Could go bad.

45 minutes!!

An Hour each way!!!!

Holy shit, you guys are killing it. I am amazed you even mention it. I'm pulling 1 hour and 40 minutes solid with no tolls no big traffic issues. Most of my commute is wide open freeway running 6-8 over the speed limit. Yeah quit yer whining.

45 minutes!!

An Hour each way!!!!

Holy shit, you guys are killing it. I am amazed you even mention it. I'm pulling 1 hour and 40 minutes solid with no tolls no big traffic issues. Most of my commute is wide open freeway running 6-8 over the speed limit. Yeah quit yer whining.

Vin was whining. I actually don't mind my commute. Well, in the afternoon it sucks sometimes. But the AM is great. I am going away from Chicago, while everyone heads in. No traffic.

45 minutes!!

An Hour each way!!!!

It takes almost three hours of sitting in traffic with tolls to get to LA. Has taken me five hours to get home. I would kill for 45 minute commute.

I live 57.9 miles from work and it takes me an hour commute at 4:30 in the morning. Depending on traffic at 4pm it usuallly adds 15 minutes to drive it home.

45 minutes!!

An Hour each way!!!!

Yeah, and I did that for 3 years and I refuse to ever do it again. Choice.

I tried to find a place to rent w/ option to purchase after divorce that was half way between where I ended up moving to. The 40 acres we live on is my GF's and is paid for, but is almost 100% wooded so no place for horses right now. She works 5 minutes from the house. I decided no mortgage or rent was worth the 45 minutes added to my drive for a year and a half while we save to build a house and clear the land enough for horses.

I would rather not drive an hour, but the cost of property anywhere inside a 25 mile radius of my work is $10k+ an acre unless it is 100% sand and completely wooded. Then you may get under $6500. Anything with over 5 acres with a decent house will cost you over $200K. I can't afford that.

We will have all debt paid off by the end of the year except for our cars. That will leave us with 2 car payments, 2 auto insurance bills, 2 cell phone bills, electricity and Cable. The money we are spending on CC debt will then go into savings for the next year or two. Barring any major emergencies we are expecting to have in the neighborhood of $70K put back at end of year 2. That will allow us to look at more options in our building plans while still being in a price range we can pay off in 15 years or less.

Our main stipulation is to have the house and all other things we accumulate paid off in 15 years. Leaving us the last 6-8 years of saving before full retirement and not having to live off SSN alone to survive.

Neither of us have jobs that provide retirement. 401K is their only offers.

TL/DR I know I know

Are you allowed to clear cut?

Getting there. I'm taking tomorrow off though and will get back there next weekend. 8 days in a row is plenty for now.

Oh, and the wife decided to foster puppies for the local shelter. First time she's done it, and she brings home a pair.

IMG_20160618_061928.jpg IMG_20160618_150142.jpg IMG_20160618_150147.jpg IMG_20160618_150153.jpg IMG_20160618_150159.jpg IMG_20160618_150205.jpg

IMG_20160625_181810.jpg
IMG_20160625_181834.jpg
IMG_20160625_181854.jpg
It's starting to come together. Tomorrow I will start on the bathroom and I saved the kitchen for last.

IMG_20160625_181810.jpg IMG_20160625_181854.jpg IMG_20160625_181834.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain. Some renters leave it in the shape they found it in. I have had two renters that did over the last ten years. I am on my fourth renter.
Biggest problems with renters is getting them to pay rent on time. The two that left it in good condition paid on time.
I like the extra income and if you get the right renters life is good.

Are you allowed to clear cut?
I must have miss this,sorry.

We are looking at clear cutting once we decide where we are going to build the house and barn. I've been running the backhoe through the tree lines to get to the back property line so we can have a better idea of what can or cannot be built on. Some of it is low lying area that floods.

IMG_20160710_150152.jpg
IMG_20160710_150219.jpg
We got a shit ton done this weekend. Other than touch up and cleaning, 2/3 of the bedrooms, the living room and bathroom are basically done.

Need to patch and paint the utility room, and tackle the kitchen. Once that is done, I fix the landscaping and some misc exterior work and it's good to go. Still waiting on the window though. It's not in yet. I think it will be close to completely done by Tuesday next week.

IMG_20160710_150152.jpg IMG_20160710_150219.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back