Starter stays on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blobis

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I've got a 2007 jeep wrangler X, last week went to start it and the starter came on like normal when the key is in the start position, when I release the key and it goes back to the on position the starter stays on, if I want the starter to stop spinning I have to turn the key back a tinny bit, and then the jeep runs fine. I've changed the ignition switch but it still does the same thing. The only code I have is a Cam Position Sensor.
Any help would be great.
Thanks, Bob

I've all ready checked that out, the starter extends and retracts just fine. I even used a wire to jump it after removing the starter relay.
There is something else going on.
Thanks, Bob

I've all ready checked that out, the starter extends and retracts just fine. I even used a wire to jump it after removing the starter relay.
There is something else going on.
Thanks, Bob

Have you tried shimming the starter, the starter gear could be hanging in on the flywheel.

Checked that out to, not that.
My neighbor has been working on jeeps his whole life ( he's 80 something ), he came by and said he's never seen this before.

Looked at that two, when I got my new ignition switch I tried it out by just plugging it in but not installing it to the key mechanism,
turned it with a flat head screw driver to the start position and them released it, and it did the same thing, so I've ruled out the key mechanism.

On my cj there is a metal rod that moves inside the column when you turn the key that engages the swiycg that is on the columb lower down. Mine needed lubed but was doing the same thing. Im not sure if yours has the same set up but worth looking into

Ya seen that, when you take the ignition switch off it kinda looks like a metal anteater mouth with his tongue sticking out , is that what you see?

I used graphite in a squeeze tube. Its a dry powder.

Well that sucks.
Last night found out I have a P0300 code, and a P0335, misfire and crankshaft sensor. I know a bad crankshaft sensor will cause the misfire. Going to fix that soon, wondering if bad sensors can also make the computer cause other problems? ( the starter )

Last night found out I have a P0300 code, and a P0335, misfire and crankshaft sensor. I know a bad crankshaft sensor will cause the misfire. Going to fix that soon, wondering if bad sensors can also make the computer cause other problems? ( the starter )
Im an excavation contractor and i have had two pieces of equipment that the computer has engaged my starter randomly and killed the starters, one was a sensor and the other i never figured out but after killing a few starters i put a push button switch i have to hold down while turning the key to start it. Makes me really not like technology.

Let me know if the sensor fixes it.

My uneducated guess would be its either in the switch, that metal rod thing or the switch that metal rod pushes. Something is hanging up somewhere.

Latest posts

Back