Random Pix.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of another forums member was in the TET in 1968

Not a good time for anyone.

End of Feb '68 was the first time I was wounded TET, in country just a bit over two months, shapnel in my left leg, side and hand.
The second was Mid Sept '69, left forearm, upper arm, both legs, right foot, both hands, and neck.
The third was late Oct '70, spine was hit at L3 level, broke the vertaba at L3 and cracked L4 and damaged the nerves to the legs. Numb to this day.
First two I stayed over there, refused to go back to the states, the second one I was sent to Korea for five weeks to 'heal', ...but the last one there were no choices. Went to the 3rd Field Hospital in Saigon to staybalize, then to Japan for first surgery, then to Ft Lewis Wa where I spent about two weeks on a gerny in a hallway (no room available) then sent to Ft Hood Tx, two surgeries and near three months of care and therapy to learn to walk.

Don't need nor want applause, I was one of the lucky ones that made it back home, at least alive.

I just wasn't smart enough to avoid trouble. Also thought I was invincible, I sure learned I wasn't !

I like a lot of other Rangers were attached to different Divisions and Companies, we were attached to the First Inf Div, Big Red One. Others to other division thruout the country Spent a lot of the first year at Dian a base due North of Saigon and worked out of there and to the West. Then moved to Lai Khe... appropriatly named 'rocket city', because we got them nearly daily, much further north near a hell hole named Nui Ba Dien, (the Back Virgin Mountain). We first formed there with 85 in the unit, within three months we were down to 62 and then only got relacements at two to three a month, I have seen more than my share of those that should recieve applause.

I was an impressionable 20 yr old... over the next couple years I had to grow up, quick.

I have been asked why I kept extending and stayed there, at first it was because of my younger brother. They couldn't send him there while I was there, (a last of the line thing) and He was not the type that could have made it.

When I retured and was out it was probably 10-12 years before anyone was told I was there. I had to go to the VA Hosp for re-evaluation, saw a lot of my 'brothers' going thru much worse than me, after that I became vocal in my support of them, others and my Country. Yeah I may over do it but people need to know what Vets, Combat hardened have gone thru for their country.

edit: this COVID shit and staying in just gives a person too damn much time to think and the mind to wander.

My buddy was a Corpman embedded with the Marines. He got 2 purple hearts, blown up, shrapnel, shot, but kept on saving lives. Yes, the memories are still prevalent. Went to the American Cemetery a few years ago in Normandy, France, and he completely lost it. His emotions just came out. I believe this was still part of his healing process 48 years later.

My buddy was a Corpman embedded with the Marines. He got 2 purple hearts, blown up, shrapnel, shot, but kept on saving lives. Yes, the memories are still prevalent. Went to the American Cemetery a few years ago in Normandy, France, and he completely lost it. His emotions just came out. I believe this was still part of his healing process 48 years later.

Sorry to tell you, he will never completely heal. Send him my respect.

Being friends with him, I am now friends with all of his Corpmen, including his Sergeant. I have never found a more giving and "matter of fact" type of guys. I missed Nam by just months, and a high lottery number. Maybe that is why I got into law enforcement. Envious of being a real hero, and instead, being in a profession that everyone hates, as you were when you landed in the states after giving it all. WTF is wrong with people?

Being friends with him, I am now friends with all of his Corpmen, including his Sergeant. I have never found a more giving and "matter of fact" type of guys. I missed Nam by just months, and a high lottery number. Maybe that is why I got into law enforcement. Envious of being a real hero, and instead, being in a profession that everyone hates, as you were when you landed in the states after giving it all. WTF is wrong with people?
People still hate us, 50 years later.

pedophile.jpg

That's presidential material right there

Latest posts

Back