ok you asked for it, the non jeep build thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am back. I haven't been on lately because I have been dealing with another major setback. apparently that screw that got dropped into my intake did more damage than initially suspected. I was doing some tuning, and the truck was running awesome so I decided to take it out and go on a fairly long test and tune run. well the engine started running really rough. I limped it home, and found there was a new knock in the bottom end, and number 8 cylinder would quiet it if I pulled the spark plug. anyway long story short, I ended up having to pull the engine and send it back to Blueprint. it caused a lot of damage as you can imagine. I called Blueprint up and asked them about it, and without dropping a beat they had me bring the engine to them. fortunately its only a couple hours from me so I loaded it up and drove it over to them. they tore the engine down and determined what had happened.

Hesalru.jpg

W5TwnGJ.jpg

I asked how much it would cost to have it repaired and they told me that it would be rebuilt under warranty. I explained this was obviously something I did and not the companies fault, their response was "everybody gets one" it ended up having a cam lobe wiped as well as the cylinder and head damage. it took a while because they are struggling with parts deliveries just like the rest of us, but I finally got the engine back last week and dropped it back in. I did a few things to try and clean up the engine compartment while it was out. like replacing the heater hoses with a foxbody mustang hard line. I never liked the way it looked with the way I had the rubber hoses run, and I reworked some wiring to clean it up a bit,

FVJBROO.jpg

I also added a fire extinguisher, because, you just never know.

eh2IPM2.jpg

but the bronco is back and running. apparently it even picked up a couple ponies. the previous version had 460hp and 493 tq this one has 477 with a slight drop of 10 ft/pounds of tq. to 483

uzQItXe.jpg

oh and I also got to meet Stacey David at a car show in kansas. he has always been my favorite tv personality.

sAfmB8x.jpg

myj6UZO.jpg

first test drive I had some issues. it seems the O2 sensor was fouled when the engine crapped out. fortunately I had a spare on hand, and so I swapped it out and took another cruise today. much better. no issues. now I just have to do some more driving and tuning until I decided it is going to be dependable. My wife took this picture while I had the truck sitting outside so I could clean the garage up. its been sitting in one place for several months now and accumulated a quite a mess in there.
Z6FK4O6.jpg

Ok, 3 successful test drives with no issues now. it seems to be running fine. a little rich, but that is at least safe. I am much happier with that than if it were running lean. I transferred the learn tables again today, and in a few days when I get a chance I will drive it again. it is a blast to drive. today, I was stopped on a hill at a stop light, and this car pulled up way too close behind me so I was concerned I would roll back and hit her or at least scare her so I over compensated a bit and gave it too much gas, and popped the clutch a little too fast, and did a little burn out on main street lol. but its all good, I didn't kill it, and it proves this big ol rig can spin them big tires if it needs to.

I vote a rock crawler, or a dune buggy, or .......?
Maybe once I retire and move to Arizona or Utah. But a rock crawler in iowa is like a sun porch on a submarine. Might look good but won’t get much use

I just have to show off this little product lol. I saw it on an internet add. it should be a fun time for my car show next weekend.

I need a little practice driving it backwards and one handed lol.

Attachments

• IMG_7253(1).jpg
    IMG_7253(1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7255.jpg
    IMG_7255.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7256.jpg
    IMG_7256.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I was able to attend a couple car shows last month. I got a couple trophys which was nice, but no first place. I know a lot of this is subjective, but when I looked at the broncos that placed higher ( I was in the modified truck class, but both vehicles that placed higher were broncos.) were not better than mine. the one had some nice detail, and was very well executed, and probably deserved the first, but naturally I thought my truck looked better lol. the second show however I cannot understand at all how that vehicle placed higher. any way I did some serious evaluating to see where I might improve.

one area I thought might be an improvement is that I have a slight bronco lean and it looks like my bumpers are crooked. I had a hard time getting the stock radius arms to lay flat when I tightened the front caps, so I decided I would address that by replacing them.

VNO8clE.jpg

new duff stock length trex arms and heavy duty spring plates going in. these things are BEEFY, and just look cool IMHO. also My tires rub a bit if I turn them too tight, so these will improve my turning radius as well. Then I will make sure everything is square and level when I am done.

at some point I will put a hard top on it I suppose, but I really like driving it with the bikini top and I don't relish the idea of putting a hard top and having to drill holes in the bed top and possibly scratch up the bed rails so it doesn't look as good when I take it off. I am still just undecided on that I guess. I know the hard top always looks better to the judges, but ultimately enjoying driving the truck is way more important than winning car shows.

35mYKLN.jpg

7yaQgqw.jpg

Z4NzwKC.jpg

Today I finished up the install of the T-rex arms. I took my time. I actually did it over a couple days because I was on call and couldn't really dig into it. today I had the day off and finished it up.

these things are Massive. I decided the name T-rex arms is Ironic lol.

VNO8clE.jpg

its a pretty straight forward Job. I don't have jack stands tall enough to support the frame like Monster Mike and John Melton did in their install. When I put my suspension together when I first started assembly, I learned that when I lifted the frame with my lift while the rubber pads were in place, I couldn't get the bushings in. So having learned from that mistake, I ended up using just the risers with a rag, to hopefully prevent scratching the powdercoating too much. it seemed to work well.

Tf5lzsR.jpg

getting the c bushings in pace is just as much of a PITA as it was last time. this time I had my wife help me to watch and hold down on the arms while I tightened and loosened and tightened the c caps a billion times. I did finally get it, but man my knees may never be the same lol.

I also upgraded to the Duff HD spring plates. I had to clearance the stock bump stop a bit on the drivers side to get it fit. I don't know if that is common but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

7FcoXiN.jpg

mnWVyRU.jpg

7NBKoTj.jpg

JXs5KQu.jpg

somehow I damaged one of the tie rod boots when I installed it last time. but I found a universal replacement at O'reillys that worked fine. so I finished up the steering linkage, and bolted the bumper back on. put the wheels back on and took some glamour shots lol. I have an alignment scheduled for tomorrow.

LpL9Y51.jpg

Rz3gLyw.jpg

oOKuf9S.jpg

S2QeEkn.jpg

7FcoXiN.jpg

I am looking forward to driving it.

the alignment was done this morning. so I took it on a little cruise. my town is a bout 8 miles from the interstate, so I drove out to the interstate and cruised down to the next exit, about 10 miles and back. so about 30 minutes of highway and interstate speeds. this is the first time I have had the Bronco on the interstate since I put the new engine in. it ran like a champ. so I am thinking if I can get it past the wife I will go on this cruise to the woods on sunday. it is General conference weekend however for my church so that is a plus and a minus. it is on tv so I can dvr it and watch it later, and I don't have any responsibilities in church this weekend on the plus side, on the minus side, my wife practically lives for conference so she will not be too happy with me wanting to miss part of it.

anyway, I am very pleased with how the Bronco handles and drives now, I can turn the wheel all the way to the locks with no rubbing so my turning radius is much better also which is a nice bonus.

Latest posts

Back