ok you asked for it, the non jeep build thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, looks like you're making progress! Nice!
slow but sure. I get a little done every night, but with the wedding preparations and everything it is slow. especially since my daughter decided she wanted to have the reception at our house due to this Covid 19 thing. so we have been doing some minor remodeling and major yard work for the last month or so.

I had my daughter and future son in law help me get the dash in place. what a PITA. but that is a major step. I've finished the wiring to the taillights and finished the wiring to the fuel tank. I got the filler neck tube installed, and basically buttoned up the back half of the truck. I also got the steps wired and working. next I need to wire up the ignition box, coil, and stab the distributor. but the wedding is friday so I have not been working at it too hard.
ZZ7oCZn.jpg

Last edited:
My baby girls wedding was Friday, my number one helper.
cry.gif
but now that I am not working on wedding planning and prep, I finally finished wiring the last circuit. then I started testing circuits. I had a minor snafu that took me way too long to figure out. when I tried to test my gauge lights the circuit breaker in the light switch kept tripping. I had headlights, but nothing else. so I pulled the dash back off a bit, and unplugged the quick connects to the dash. still did it, so I disconnected the rear circuits, and it stopped tripping. it took me a while to get to that point because I hadn't checked the taillights initially, I just saw the gauge lights would flicker and go out. but once I figured out that it was in the rear circuit, I disconnected all the lights individually, and finally found that one of the side marker lights had the two little prongs in the light socket touching. I had not installed any bulbs in the side marker lights, and never really looked at them that close when I wired it. anyway, lesson learned and everything seems to work. tomorrow I need to get the fan, and shroud installed. then test the ignition circuits and see if the fuel pump will come on, and maybe see if this thing will start. fingers crossed.

GJayb9V.jpg

dash lights work, gauges work, heater motor, and radio work.

pBwYicV.jpg

headlights, and marker lights work, the turn signal pads are on order.

GwjaR4O.jpg

yTx9Fyb.jpg

tail lights and brake lights work.

YYyAry7.jpg

I still need to test the turn signals.

MG, so I'm guessing the green tape is used just for paint protection? Any concern when peeling it off?
You do know that Bronco needs to be put on display, instead of driven?
Awesome sounding as well.

MG, so I'm guessing the green tape is used just for paint protection? Any concern when peeling it off?
You do know that Bronco needs to be put on display, instead of driven?
Awesome sounding as well.
yeah the tape just protects the paint from me leaning over it and banging the doors etc. and I intend to show off the bronco, but I will be driving it on nice days. probably not much this winter sadly.

since the seats I ordered from Toms Broncos are on back order and won't be available until November, I decided to get some procar seats from wild horses they were in stock and should be here in a couple days. in the mean time I took an old foxbody mustang seat and sat it in place so I could position my side mirrors and bend my shifter handle to fit where I like it better, I am going to powder coat it in a day or so. I got the mirrors installed and did some work on the door handles to make them work a little easier. then I installed my one piece windows and door limit straps.

kTbAzV0.jpg

PwFdzuJ.jpg

htEovAY.jpg

I like the way the inner fenders look on the bronco so I didn't want to put anything on them like the msd box or coil so I decided to do it like this.

Lerqv8o.jpg

in the mean time, a piece in my clutch linkage broke. one of the few original pieces I kept from the old bronco so I had to order a replacement. I plan to work on getting the tie rod and drag link on tonight and do a quick and dirty tape measure alignment. I don't want to ask my wife to help me bleed the brakes till my new seats get here. but I should hopefully be ready for a test drive soon. I would like to drive it at least once before winter.

The Toms bronco parts premium seats that I wanted are on back order. so I went with these procar elite seats from wild horses. I fixed the clutch linkage, installed the rear driveshaft. I have to do some re arranging for the front driveshaft. I bent, and powdercoated the nv3550 stock shifter to suit my liking a bit better and I replaced the shift knob with a hurst cue ball shifter that I like better than the stock one. I also did some adjusting on the dana 20 twin stick shifters and had to modify the floor a bit more. then I got the boot in place. I will try to get some better pictures tonight. my bronco hut door panels are back ordered, but the interior is about together. I have not decided whether to put the power window kit in or not. but now maybe I can get the brakes bled.

44DHei0.jpg

ifh6EX0.jpg

My wife helped me bleed the brakes, and adjust the clutch linkage. then I backed it out of the garage under its own power for the first time. I let it warm up to operating temp, and kept an eye on the gauges. I still need to program the gas gauge, and for some reason the tachometer isn't working. but the oil pressure and temp gauge are working fine, the fitech has a tach reading so that isn't really an issue right now, and I only put about 3.5 galllons of gas in it, so I knew it was pretty low. since it seemed to be running fine and I saw no major problems I decided it was time to take it for the first test drive. I drove it down to the gas station, filled the tank with 91 octane at about 8:30 tonight. got my first thumbs up, and drove it home. it needs to be driven a bit more so the computer can learn, and I think I need to back the timing off a bit, the left turn signal stayed on whenever the lights were on, so I have that wired wrong somehow, but everything else seemed to work fine. I drove it home, noticed I still have a small oil leak from the oil pressure sending unit. I think I am going to have to take that off and put some more thread sealer on it and see if I can get that stopped.

I still have a lot of small things to do, but another major milestone in the bag. if they hadn't cancelled my car show that was scheduled for this weekend, I would have been ready.

brjHWCL.jpg

2gYQsgl.jpg

r6zxdx8.jpg

H0rIv2q.jpg

2gYQsgl.jpg

Latest posts

Back