ok you asked for it, the non jeep build thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill have to watch that series. I liked the movie with mark wahlberg.

well, I've got some good news and some bad news. bad news first. I was really pleased that the new hood cleared the powersteering reservoir and I had that all sorted finally. so I went ahead and did the hood pins and shocks etc. well the other day I decided I wanted to get some pictures with the billet industries breather on it, and it hit the hood. so I cussed and did some other stupid things. My first thought was I was going to have to buy one of those high rise hoods that I really didn't like that much. and then decided to get to work and fix it. first I modified the breather and reversed the adapter to drop it down about 1/2 inch or so. it still hit but it looked like I could make it work. I had also bought a 2 inch body lift kit that I was considering using when I was struggling with the powersteering reservoir, I was already debating using it because someday I would like to get an atlas transfer case for the easy shift on the fly aspect. so today I mocked it in. the lift makes it relatively simple to unbolt one side of the body lift it, swap out the lift and bolts and lift the other side, so it took me about an hour and a half because getting those stupid nuts started in that elevated above the frame spot is a PITA. anyway I am not unhappy with the results. I am still going to have to have the body shop shave that back cross brace, but Corey Sunday from Bronco Design says that is no problem, it is just fiberglass and will not significantly change the strength of the hood.

j8V6SRk.jpg

I was afraid it would look like it was on stilts and I would wish I had bigger tires. but I think it looks fine. And with the amp research power steps I still won't have to jump to get in. so I think this is the way it is going to turn out.

B8DuwWT.jpg

12SAecf.jpg

5X4Ib8u.jpg

Pt1S94Y.jpg

I got the Duff filler panels mocked into place. I decided to weld the rear roll pan on. it is supposed to bolt on, but that looked wrong to me. it was supposed to bolt to the frame, but that left a little too much space under the tail gate so I welded it on. I didn't do any filler, I just welded it on and primered it because I wanted to get it on the body dolly. so this weekend I pulled the hood and fenders off, lifted the body off and put it back on the dolly. then remounted the hood and fenders. it took some time, but I had my wife and daughter helping me so it was fun. I contacted the body shop and he says I should be able to get the body in next week. cool
since everybody loves pictures I will throw a few up.

1fKRGiu.jpg

I lifted the body by bolting some d rings into the seat mounting holes then I use my lift. it works pretty good. the arms on my lift are too long to position under the body so I have to do it this way, but then I have to pull the front wheels off and roll it out from under the body with the pumpkin on my floor jack. but it is really a very easy thing to do.
TzKfgOx.jpg

FhQ0OIV.jpg

kwHaHDI.jpg

ok, I am a happy man today. I dropped the bronco off at the paint shop yesterday. he expects it to take about a month.

pSxl5Bs.jpg

they squeezed it in the shop because it looked like it was going to start sleeting again, that silver car was being washed and waxed and then it was going out, so they just squeezed it in there temporarily;

I am looking at a few different options for color. the first is the brittany blue I have been looking at for a while.
KjCMx7w.jpg

the only downside to that one is that there are so many early broncos painted that color. about half the new broncos being made by gateway and other companies have been brittany blue. but I still like it.

the other two options I saw at the body shop when looking through there paint colors are.
Zhka2np.jpg

the granduer blue I like it is a pretty blue and would allow me to use my translucent blue powder coat for some of the engine pieces. the problem with it, is it looks a lot like the color of my daughters 67 mustang.

the turquoise has more green in it than you can see in this picture, and it is the color my wife likes. of course my daughter doesn't want my wife to control the color choice again so she is resistant to that color. so I am still undecided lol. what says the hive?

well I am back to my original plan lol it turns out the other two colors are 3 stage applications and significantly more expensive and difficult to touch up, so I am going to be sticking with the Brittany blue. final answer. Until my wife changes my mind I guess lol.

so I found this bronco design app from a link on facebook and I was playing around with customizing my bronco. Now I am thinking of a kind of a Bronco GT theme. picture this rendering with Brittany Blue and wimbledon white stripes. this is as close as I could come on the app. obviously the hood and some other features are not accurate to my bronco but you get the idea. The top will be one of the things I do in the future. maybe next year. this year my hope is to get it running and maybe take it to our local car show in september if this pandemic has subsided by then. (Heaven help us I hope it will be.) anyway. here is the next thing I am doing to play around and mess with my painters mind lol.

here is a little update. not much going on. I did redo my fuel lines a bit initially the fitech tech support people said that i did not need to run a return line from both throttle bodies so I didn't, but recently I have read about people with this system that have had problems without it so I figured it is an easy thing to do now, a lot harder once the body is back on and painted so I went ahead and re did the fuel lines with both return lines, and a disconnect at the rear near the fuel filter so if I have to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump it will be easier.

HWG9h5u.jpg

Dq4brdZ.jpg

94BlTYZ.jpg

then since the bronco body has been at the body shop I needed something else to keep me busy during this lockdown, so I went ahead and bought the kit to convert my foxbody mustang from an aod to a 5 speed. I am now really enjoying that car again. the jeep I haven't done anything to for a while. it is pretty much where I want it, and since I took the carpet out of it and it is just bedlinered on the inside, it is the main dog transporting vehicle so it gets lots of use, but not a lot of love lol.

here are a few gratuitous body shop shots of the bronco.

this is where they removed that ridge under the hood to give me enough room for my air breather. it will give me about an extra inch which should be all I need.

FnXxoh9.jpg

of course they had to do some "correcting of the body work I did on the fuel door. (fortunately the body guy is not one to rub my nose in my lack of expertise lol)

F8hWyHq.jpg

they still have some work to do, but it is coming along very nicely I think

m9uEJVP.jpg

Color is starting to go down

Attachments

• 487997C2-757F-47A9-A84F-336EE93ECF3D.jpeg
    487997C2-757F-47A9-A84F-336EE93ECF3D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 28B70AC5-9DB8-4133-8486-DE5562E7299B.jpeg
    28B70AC5-9DB8-4133-8486-DE5562E7299B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 964602F9-8007-43E3-83A5-C7BF96B22257.jpeg
    964602F9-8007-43E3-83A5-C7BF96B22257.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
there is still a lot of work before I get to bring it home, but this is a big step and it looks great to me. I am hoping it will be sitting on the chassis by the end of the month. but they still have to stripe it, clear coat again, color sand and buff, and do the bed liner underneath. then mount it back to the chassis and re assemble the body. before I will be able to bring it home. I just heard that they have decided to move our local car show back to september 29th. so there is still a chance I will be able to have it moving under its own power. it will not be done, but if it will move on its own I will take it and show it.

well some semi bad news. there was a fire at the shop where the bronco is getting painted. it was right where my bronco had been sitting. they moved it into the paint booth before they left for the night in preparation for doing the stripes. a 2019 traverse was parked where it had been and the traverse was totalled. no real damage to the bronco, but a lot of damage to the shop. while they may be up and running pretty soon we decided to just forego the stripe. I was having second thoughts about it anyway. so they are just going to put the body back on the frame and put the new windshield in, and do the color sanding and I will be bringing it home hopefully this week. and some really unpleasant news. unfortunately my brother in law passed away and his funeral is sunday so I will not be getting much work done this weekend, and we are still in shock over that. but next week I hope to be able to post some real progress pictures.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back