Just Marn pissing and moaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Savage makes a fine rifle these days.

And .30-06 is also as valid as .308. It'll actually do as much and a little more than .308, but isn't quite as available

Ok I had the 700 and got rid of it because I didn't use it much at the time and a buddy wanted it. So lets make this a little easier, If I had 1500 to spend on the rifle and 1000 to spend on the scope what would you get for shooting up to 800-1000 yards? Accurately. I also would like to be able to take a 100 yard or closer shot if needed and be able to cary it in the woods without a backpack.

Savage makes a fine rifle these days.

And .30-06 is also as valid as .308. It'll actually do as much and a little more than .308, but isn't quite as available
My current everyday hunting rifle is my Savage 111 in 30-06 with a synthetic stock and a Burris Scope. It's a cheap gun with a mediocre scope and work well up to few hundred yards. I like it because it was cheap and it shoots nice, I hate to spend a shit load on a gun I am out in the elements for a few months out of the year. It's ok to scratch that one up and get some surface rust. Character.

Ok I had the 700 and got rid of it because I didn't use it much at the time and a buddy wanted it. So lets make this a little easier, If I had 1500 to spend on the rifle and 1000 to spend on the scope what would you get for shooting up to 800-1000 yards? Accurately. I also would like to be able to take a 100 yard or closer shot if needed and be able to cary it in the woods without a backpack.

Spend $600 on a Leupold scope. Take the extra 400 from that and add it to the $1500 for the gun then add around $4 more and get a Cooper Arms Classic model 52 in .300 win. at $2275. Check it out at http://cooperfirearms.com/classic but go in with a max of $2500 on the gun or you will fall in love with their offerings and end up with a lot of money in a gun. If that is to rich for your blood then look at a Kimber model 84L which will still use all the $1500 plus the left over from the scope at around $1900 or the Kimber Mountain Ascent. at around $1400. The mountain ascent is a superlight at 5.5 lbs. the other 2 are around 7lbs. If you want to buy one gun and never question whether it will do the job then the only option IMHO at your price range would be to save some money and go for the Cooper Arms. At it's price point you will not find a better gun.

If I were living somewhere such as CO or WY and hunting the big game every year I would snag a Cooper in a minute. Being that i am in East TN I am happy with my Remington model 721 30-06 and will be putting my money into some more pistols in the near future.

I'd still go with a 700.
Screenshot_2016-06-08-08-42-53-1.png
Screenshot_2016-06-08-08-43-05-1.png
Screenshot_2016-06-08-08-42-53-1.png

If I were to get a 700 I would have to go with the CDL. It has an externally adjustable trigger and is a good gun. The 700 SPS isn't bad but I put the Remington 700 in the same class as the Savage and If I wanted a long shooting accurate gun, while there are some good examples in the Remington and Savage arena I would go with a better gun. And shoot the hell out of it including loading my own to get the best out of it at stupid long ranges. I would spend hours at the range taking one cold shot at a time to ensure I know where it will hit when after trudging through the woods for hours in the cold I know where the first shot will go when cold and where each successive shot will hit as the barrel warms.

If I want long range accuracy I go with a top gun not what Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas offer on sale every few weeks.

I have a 3006 700 and it's a solid rifle, I did get it at Cabela's though and it was on sale. Totally stock minus the scope.

If I were to get a 700 I would have to go with the CDL. It has an externally adjustable trigger and is a good gun. The 700 SPS isn't bad but I put the Remington 700 in the same class as the Savage and If I wanted a long shooting accurate gun, while there are some good examples in the Remington and Savage arena I would go with a better gun. And shoot the hell out of it including loading my own to get the best out of it at stupid long ranges. I would spend hours at the range taking one cold shot at a time to ensure I know where it will hit when after trudging through the woods for hours in the cold I know where the first shot will go when cold and where each successive shot will hit as the barrel warms.

If I want long range accuracy I go with a top gun not what Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas offer on sale every few weeks.
The SPS is nice. I was at our long distance range (1000+ yard) a while back, watched a SWAT shooter hit steel from 1200 with a very highly modified, and very expensive 700 SPS.

a buddy who i am not really buddies with anymore had a 700SPS, as seen in the above pics. he was consistent to 1000+ yards. Timney trigger, mcmillian stock, he eventually got an upgraded blot because the bolt face on his cracked, but even as a stock rifle 800-1000 wasnt bad.

My M1A was consistant at 1000, but not exactly accurate. I was shooting at like a 14x20 silhouette, i think my best was like 3/10 hits? it was RIGHT THERE, dancing around it, i had a total of 5 out of 30 hits, but within the last 10 rounds (lake city) i had 3 hits. . That was all using surplus 7.62x51.

Yup. I found that my M1A was pretty easy at 600, 800ish wasnt particularly difficult either. Once I scored a hit i could repeat with high success rate. at 1000, it was downright hard.

If you listen closely, you can hear the ding. 800 yards

here's one at 6 hunnert.

That's pretty damn impressive from an M1A. Anything over 500 is bolt range for me. Lol

You're definitely a better shot than I am.

That's pretty damn impressive from an M1A. Anything over 500 is bolt range for me. Lol

You're definitely a better shot than I am.

Meh, rifle, ammo, shooter, all come into play. the M1A's are proven battlefield accurate. 500 yards at full size silhouettes on iron sights should be no problem.

i have shot my 5.56 SCAR out to 500 on irons with repeatable accuracy.

Yeah, I have my rifle expert RQB. Lol

I was being supportive .

i know, i'm just sayin'

Either way, my left eye is getting all fucky these days so i'm stuck as to try and keep using it or to learn everything right handed from now on. being cross-dominant sucks. ACOG's and scout scopes dont work for me.

i know, i'm just sayin'

Either way, my left eye is getting all fucky these days so i'm stuck as to try and keep using it or to learn everything right handed from now on. being cross-dominant sucks. ACOG's and scout scopes dont work for me.
My dad went blind in his right eye, took him close to 3 months, but he was able to regain accuracy . I'm sure you could do it

Latest posts

Back