Just Marn pissing and moaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, i pretty much keep the same quantity, its just that the items themselves vary. I buy sell trade upgrade a bunch. Have gotta a number of killer deals this year. I have been trying to reduce calibers though, really want to ditch 9mm and go to just .45 and .357 for hand guns....but cant bring myself to sell my fancy pants glock, even though i hate it.

got this special edition (read: walnut and 16.5" barrel) ruger GSR for $250 less than the regular plain version sitting next to it on the shelf. It's one of my favs now, goes along really well in the truck for trips. I actually pulled the flash hider and went with a thread protector, and also removed the spacer from the stock to take half an inch off the rear. It's about 2" shorter overall now and man it points quick!

Sweet rifle! You still have that killer Garand I love?

Sweet rifle! You still have that killer Garand I love?

I havent ever owned a garand.

Have an M1A though. Havent shot it in over a year :-( I have not determined any long range spots to shoot

Gotcha, I thought you had a garand...of course not though...the M1a is much more expensive. I hate you. Lol

ehhhhh, depends on the M1a and depends on the garand. there are $1000 m1a's and $2500 garands and vise versa. Mine is a plain jane Springfield Standard.

same gun, swapped back to the wooden stock maybe 2 years ago? Was looking for a method to make that stock multicam rather than ACU or whatever it was supposed to be, but never got there. the fiberglass stock has been sitting in my closet for a while now.

Marn, teach me somthing. I want to start shooting long range deer hunting. What might be a good rifle for that?

Remington 700 in .308 with a McMillan A4 stock and good optics.

I love my 700 in 270... Amazing rifle even with trigger recall.. Had mine floated and bedded.. Definitely a tack driver but I'm limited to shorter ranges... :/

Yup. This is what the other rifle in the camo pic is.

However I'm not a Remington fan. Not a lot of confidence in a rifle that had every unit ever recalled. That being said if you upgrade to a better trigger that's a moot point.

There are lots of other options out there too tho. But Thom is right about good glass I personally believe the glass is more important or at least AS important as the rifle . My little long range setup was a Mossberg MVP in 5.56. It was a $500 rifle with a $600 scope

An AR10 is a good option as well but will be a bit more expensive.

I have shot my m1a out to 1000 yards but overall it's really only a 1.5-2MOA rifle so it's battlefield accurate but it's not a precision rifle

The ruger precision rifle had gotten great reviews as well and it's tacticool for sure

However I'm not a Remington fan. Not a lot of confidence in a rifle that had every unit ever recalled. That being said if you upgrade to a better trigger that's a moot point.

There are lots of other options out there too tho. But Thom is right about good glass I personally believe the glass is more important or at least AS important as the rifle . My little long range setup was a Mossberg MVP in 5.56. It was a $500 rifle with a $600 scope
I can't agree with you more about Optics!!! So many guys spend $800 on a nice rifle then $60 on a Simons scope... I can't afford high quality optics, but I do ha e good luck with my Nikons.

My one rifle is a Remington 700, .308, and had a Luepold VXR4 (12x50). I dropped it while moving it a couple months ago, destroyed the optics and chipped the stock. Saving to order the McMillan A4 and a Luepold Mark 4.

Check out SWFA they hold the contract for the fixed 10 power our boys use on the .50bmg rifles I had their 3-9x on my mossberg and it was beefy. Lifetime warranty zero questions asked. First focal plane. $600

I think the fixed powers are cheaper and even more robust

Check out SWFA they hold the contract for the fixed 10 power our boys use on the .50bmg rifles I had their 3-9x on my mossberg and it was beefy. Lifetime warranty zero questions asked. First focal plane. $600

I think the fixed powers are cheaper and even more robust
Will definitely check them out! $600 is much better than $1,100, especially the little I actually use it.

They are no questions asked with warranty? I like that. I got my rifle off a hunting guide I knew through a friend, he was going through a rough patch and I picked it up dirt cheap. I guess he dropped off the face of the earth, I've tried finding him to get the original paperwork on the scope, Luepold won't honor the warranty without it.

Marn, teach me somthing. I want to start shooting long range deer hunting. What might be a good rifle for that?

Good call on the 300 but I agree with marn unless you are getting a pre 64 or even a 721 I would skip the remington and go with a different manufacture. Marn mentioned battlefield groups, those same groups are big game groups. if you can put it in a saucer sized group every time then you will drop the animal you are going for. The .300 carries a lot of energy out a long ways.

Another option would be the 30-06. it also carries some good energy out far.

Optics I disagree with them. My Remington 721 has a 3x9 Tasco. The gun cost me $125. I bought the scope new in 84. It cost me $25 and the rings cost me $50. I have hunted with it since then it is my go to gun. The rings have a groove in them and I can take them loose from the base and when I put it back on it is still zeroed at 200 yards. I agree with getting a good one but i don't see any reason to spend more than the gun on a scope.

Good call on the 300 but I agree with marn unless you are getting a pre 64 or even a 721 I would skip the remington and go with a different manufacture. Marn mentioned battlefield groups, those same groups are big game groups. if you can put it in a saucer sized group every time then you will drop the animal you are going for. The .300 carries a lot of energy out a long ways.

Optics I disagree with them. My Remington 721 has a 3x9 Tasco. The gun cost me $125. I bought the scope new in 84. It cost me $25 and the rings cost me $50. I have hunted with it since then it is my go to gun. The rings have a groove in them and I can take them loose from the base and when I put it back on it is still zeroed at 200 yards. I agree with getting a good one but i don't see any reason to spend more than the gun on a scope.

I've used Tasco for years and never had issues with them losing Zero.. However as I aged, or rather my eyes did I found I needed an upgrade.. The clarity difference from Tasco, Simmons, and such to Leu, Nikon is amazing.. I'll never go back..

I love the 721, one of the rifles I learned on as a kid. Only reason I'm really partial to the 700 is the amount of cheap after market crap for them. If I had an extra $10,000 laying around I'd have a McMillan TAC .308 in my safe instead of this 700. Lol

Latest posts

Back