I need ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mama's Kia Sorento (2013) has a push button gas cap door release, which quit working. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. Their is a emergency wire pull in the hatch area, that will open the gas cap when pulled, but is a PITA. I You Tubed it, and IF it is the button rather than the solenoid, it is a quick fix. To test it, you need to pull the door panel off, jump the two wired, and if the door opens, it is a faulty button. I've popped many door panels, which only takes about 30 minutes, but I'm wondering if I should just buy the button now, so when I pull the panel, I can hope it is just the button. A quick pop out, push in, put it back together, all in one fell swoop.

The sure way is to pop the door panel, test the back of the button, confirm that it needs replacing, then put the panel back on, wait for the part to be shipped, then pull the panel again, replace the button.

I'm lazy. The new push button is only $30. What is the consensus that that is the problem, and take off the door panel, replace the button, then reinstall the panel, all at the same time? Ya think it is worth the gamble?

The You Tube videos I've watched say this is a common problem with those tin cans.

What you all say?

1635541430910.png

Me... I would just go ahead and get the button and the solenoid and replace both and be done with it... and the kia !

I offered mama a Lexus if she would just trade in that tin can. She declined the offer.

have you told her just how many people laugh at her driving down the road in kia?

I'd replace it all as well but at least the switch since you are in there

I should follow your example. Replace tires, spend a week rebuilding the engine, then sell it for a loss.

First you should at least chop off one hand, burn out one eye, shove a cactus up your ass three times just for buying a KIA !

As said before, it belongs and bought by the g/f. Really turned out to be a good deal though. Someone sued Kia in a class action suit for them falsifying the average MPG. She now gets a $100 check per year, as long as she keeps it. Then, the 10 year warranty on the engine has been extended to a lifetime warranty, because of found shavings in the pan from their crank design in a few SUV's. So when the engine blows at 200k miles, they will drop in a free engine.
I found out the solenoid for the fuel door is inside a panel by the real hatch, so the gas cap switch was ordered and will be here tomorrow. I'll pull the door panel and replace the switch tomorrow.

You need a higher class of G/F... one that drives a Lambo or Porsche... or a Grand Cherokee at least... Dallas Cheerleader, a Doctor or something like that...

They bought her off for $100 a Year... that's less than ten dollars a Month... Have you told yet that she is now worth less than $10 a Month? LoL

Yeah, the car sticker claimed 22 MPG average. Some brainiac did a study and discovered the average MPG was actually 21 MPG, so KIa sends out a check (actually credit card) every year, as long as she keeps it.

Yeah, the car sticker claimed 22 MPG average. Some brainiac did a study and discovered the average MPG was actually 21 MPG, so KIa sends out a check (actually credit card) every year, as long as she keeps it.
Damn, that old Nissan we have gets 35 mpg. And is more comfortable than the Chrysler which gets about 23.

Replaced the button and it works great. I found a You Tube video on tricks to removing the door panel, which probably saved me 30 minutes. Those videos are great.

Replaced the button and it works great. I found a You Tube video on tricks to removing the door panel, which probably saved me 30 minutes. Those videos are great.
Maybe I could go on there and learn how to install carpet.

Latest posts

Back