Family member roles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every family has the same people in it, all with the same 'jobs'. We all have the Lush, the Drama Queen, The Wild Child, the Curmugeon, the Adict, the Asshole, the Know it all...etc. every family also has the one that hosts all the holidays, does all the bbq's, family get togethers...etc. That used to be my grandparents role, with grandma passing, and grandpa now in his late 80's it's become my job (For the last year and a half or so). It's always fun, but always a ton of work. Will have 20+ over tomorrow for father's day.

What are your roles in your family?

Happy Father's Day. May the gathering be good.

My roles, taking the older people to the doctor when they need someone. Parent's, aunt, other aunt. Sometimes taking them to see their family that is too busy to come see them here.

My grandparents were the entertainers, my aunt died ten years ago at 49 and my mom died three years ago at 59 and that was about when they stopped entertaining. I pretty much took over in that dept but it is hard. My dad lives in Florida my brother in AZ and my sister about 120 miles from me. Grandma passed away last year and grandpa keeps himself busy being president of a bunch of old people clubs. He is 90 and lives alone in a 3,000 sf house that he maintains by himself. My sister is the I'm to broke to do anything person that is always borrowing yet makes good money and has no bills, she lives in one of my rentals. My brother is living off the government tit and his other half keeps him so busy with her "Chores" that he never has time for family. I was the youngest child and was the rebel, I dropped out of high school and did the drugs and all the other bad stuff. I pulled my head out of my ass in my early 20's and managed to start a company that has done well for me. I don't have much for family left but I have made a lot of really good friends over the years that I consider family. I do a lot of entertaining for them and we try and get together as much as possible. I did adopt a bunch of family when I married my wife but it seems that we are the adults and they are the teenagers, her parent would rather sit around all day smoking pot and drinking that do anything else including spending time with their grandkids. Enough about my dysfunctional family. How about yours?

Every family has the same people in it, all with the same 'jobs'. We all have the Lush, the Drama Queen, The Wild Child, the Curmugeon, the Adict, the Asshole, the Know it all...etc. every family also has the one that hosts all the holidays, does all the bbq's, family get togethers...etc. That used to be my grandparents role, with grandma passing, and grandpa now in his late 80's it's become my job (For the last year and a half or so). It's always fun, but always a ton of work. Will have 20+ over tomorrow for father's day.

What are your roles in your family?

All of the bolded above and more.

So very true! my family has their share of members that fill these roles...

Cause, you are not one of them.......

you're just incorrigible at times :D

because we are partners in crime and your incorrigibleness is fun!

I am the youngest and only boy by birth.
Could not wait to leave and did so very early.
I was the peace maker.
The helper.
The listener.
The Entrepreneur.
When the older siblings would make a mess of their lives myself or my sister just older than I am would help them put their lives back together.
Now I mostly just try to distance myself from most relatives except my Dad ( not biological but the best and most amazing man ever that I am blessed to have in my life...met him when I was 22 and been my Dad these past 16 years) and my 2 sisters I love deeply and am blessed to know. One sister is my biological sister she is 19 months older than i am....my other awesome sister is actually my Dad's daughter by birth, but to me she is 100% my sister.
Lost my Mom this past winter who was the Rock for all of us.
I tell few this, so its not easy to tell.
I met the love of my life , and married her shortly after.
She blessed me with a daughter.
The people who are my parents were actually her biological parents, but they also quickly accepted me into their family and become my parents.
A drunk driver took my wife and daughter.
But I was still their son and I gained a sister to.
A father is someone who loves you and is there for you no matter what happens....not just a sperm donor.
I have not talked to or even know where the sperm donor is since I was 14.
My role is ever evolving.
Now its just being as good a son and brother as I can be.
And my policy with family is my door is always open.
I'm here for them.
I'm the listener and sounding board.
Before my late wife came into my life I was the partying idiot who had a new girlfriend every few days or a few made it a couple weeks.
I lived fast and hard and should be dead.
She was my saviour from the road to ruin.
When or if i truly figure out my role in life I will let you all know.
Probably made no sense....sorry. ...

Last edited:
I was the responsible one who remembered things, got between fights, made sure things got done, never got in trouble, always had a job... and was still considered the Wild Child.

Go figger.

Hiya, Alex... howzit going? Had the chance to stomp a Francophone recently?

wavey

Lull them into a false sense of security... that's the ticket.

Latest posts

Back