Everyone is a foreman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an ad out for an estimator position I am trying to fill. I keep getting resumes for everything but estimator and it seems everyone who started out in pipeline has started as a foreman and is still a foreman. Every resume that I get the guy wants to be the boss. I love getting ones where the guy has had ten jobs in the last ten years, that really makes me want to hire you.

Ok what is wrong with having had 10 jobs in the last ten years. I work construction. My job is to work my way out of a job. I go in at the beginning and when it is over, I get my layoff and go find another contractor that needs the best electrician in the world.

Ok what is wrong with having had 10 jobs in the last ten years. I work construction. My job is to work my way out of a job. I go in at the beginning and when it is over, I get my layoff and go find another contractor that needs the best electrician in the world.

It can't be that easy... I mean how many Contractors are willing to pay in Sheep!

I see a lot of guys like tgat.
I won't hire them. I keep my guys working 40 hours a week year round. I do t need someone who is gonna bail after a job our two.

I won't hire them. I keep my guys working 40 hours a week year round. I do t need someone who is gonna bail after a job our two.

It's a little different if you throw in a few projects in the nuke industry.

I'll estimate for you, long range, just use a pc, fax machine and fed ex

Gonna be a long commute to go look at jobs.

I'm in the same boat as Grape.
I work out of a hiring hall,with that,over the course of my last 29-3/4 years I have probably worked for hundreds of contractors,some more than once.
I have contacts within the companies that I enjoyed working for and over the years have found myself work with a simple phone call,because my work is my signature.
I am currently working for a company for a second season only because I DO NOT want to work anymore than 40 hours a week.
Things are booming here in Ohio and everyone wants to work you 60 to 80 hours a week, I choose not to do that anymore.

I'm at that same point on not wanting to work the 60+ hours a week anymore. I have my bills set up to be covered on a 30 hour week so the 45 hours I am working now is all I want for the extra savings account padding. I have even put the word out that when we slow down in another month then I would like to be on the first list of people dropping to 40 hours. Would really love it if that could be on 4 10's. I know that 40 hour week will not last very long before we pick back up, but I sure would enjoy it however long it does last.

I think three 12's is a good week. I'll take four days off.

Hell I worked for one company for almost 7 years and hit every state but Minnesota for them lived out of a company van. But as all jobs they were beat out of the contracts by someone who put in a lower bid and they no longer needed me or about 150 others. I will work for a company as long as they need me. Whether it be 2 months or 7 years. Hell I have done a bunch of 2 week calls at auto plants during their summer line upgrades. I have worked numerous outages at power plants that last 4-10 weeks. Yep the lif eof construction is getting 1-20 W2's at the end of the year when you do your taxes. Best part is I go married and 9 every year on my taxes and get every penny back due to write offs.

Hell I worked for one company for almost 7 years and hit every state but Minnesota for them lived out of a company van. But as all jobs they were beat out of the contracts by someone who put in a lower bid and they no longer needed me or about 150 others. I will work for a company as long as they need me. Whether it be 2 months or 7 years. Hell I have done a bunch of 2 week calls at auto plants during their summer line upgrades. I have worked numerous outages at power plants that last 4-10 weeks. Yep the lif eof construction is getting 1-20 W2's at the end of the year when you do your taxes. Best part is I go married and 9 every year on my taxes and get every penny back due to write offs.

Yeah thats the life of construction. I like to keep the same guys long term and not burn through them. We have guys that just jump from job to job around here. They usually ask for a lot more money than most long term guys and don't last because they are not s good as they say they are.

Chris,my cousin and I worked for the same company once.
He 39 years
Me 2 weeks
BTW he was their head estimator all those years "Beaver Excavation" one of the biggest in the state.

Ha !!!!
You don't know what travel is....
I've been in Every State in the Union, including Puerto Rico and 14 other countries.

Ha !!!!
I've been in Every State in the Union, including Puerto Rico and 14 other countries.
I get it.
The 180 mile bounce to Cleveland sucks, time is to precious to waste it on a 3 hour commute to and from work.

I'm just gonna vote Bernie and quit my job. Problem solved.

Ha !!!!

Yeah but did you do it in an extended van with bins full of electrical parts bouncing around in the back and only an AM radio. Yeah I didn't think so. You sir can just shut the hell up.

Please.

Please don't kill me.

Yeah but did you do it in an extended van with bins full of electrical parts bouncing around in the back and only an AM radio. Yeah I didn't think so. You sir can just shut the hell up.

Please.

Please don't kill me.

I did a lot of it in a DATSUN pickup w/ a shell on the back sleeping in the back of the truck and living out of it for weeks..... yes, a datsun.

Latest posts

Back