Chrysler again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

The Almighty
Reaction score
Ok, still having issues with the 2000 Chrysler 300 M. Put a new battery in 2 weeks ago. Alternator voltage is 14.5 when running, normal according to book. If I drive it daily, seems to be ok. Had been sitting 2 days, turn the key, nothing. Check batt voltage 12.5, Put the charger on for a few minutes, clicks a couple times and then starts. Has started 10-12 times since then, no problem. Parasitic draw test was normal, last time I checked it. Starter? Intermittent short? The starter would be awful to pull, just to get it checked. If I turn the headlights on, they dim a little when it is starting and then go back to normal. Any ideas? I honestly cannot afford to get it worked on. Starter from a parts store is around $200. $68 on E bay.
Trying to work on it between storms.

I have that problem with my 07 ram. If I drive it daily it's all good, if I let it sit a week it won't start. I also have new batteries.

I have that problem with my 07 ram. If I drive it daily it's all good, if I let it sit a week it won't start. I also have new batteries.
Do you think it is because the gear reduction starters draw so much juice?

Do you think it is because the gear reduction starters draw so much juice?
I'm not sure. I want to say no because they shouldn't make it that way but who knows. I'll talk to my brother, he is a mechanic.

I had the same issue with my lil' Toyota pick up. I just keep it plugged into a trickle charger all year. The connectors come out the hood, so I don't need to even pop the hood to plug it in.

Battery checks that it is almost full charge. 5-10 minutes of the battery charger it will click a couple times and then start. Starts fine after that unless it sets a couple days.

starter solenoid not opening the circuit back up, hanging closed, leaves a trickle discharge

Have you looked at your headlight switch and do you have an xm radio tuner in it?

Screenshot_20220416-121854_Chrome.jpg

This has the headlight switch in the dash. It is a knob to turn. Pulled the fuse on the radio a month back.
Does the headlight switch have an Auto function?

Also besides the radio does it have a separate xm adapter like the other guys? I was searching the web and those two things seem to be the cause of the wierd battery drains in those cars

Why would he have a XM Radio Tuner in his Headlight Switch...
You mean in all your fancy cars your headlights don't get to listen to xm radio? Peasants I tell you.

Does the headlight switch have an Auto function?

Also besides the radio does it have a separate xm adapter like the other guys? I was searching the web and those two things seem to be the cause of the wierd battery drains in those cars
It has an auto function but I don't use it. The radio is just a cheap Kenwood.

Latest posts

Back