Project Corveep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60 / 14 spring under is finished, except for shocks and I need to shorten the rear driveshaft.

0824161422b.jpg

0824161831b.jpg

0824161832.jpg

What made you go SUA instead of SOA?

What made you go SUA instead of SOA?
Height. I had to literally climb on the tire to get inside while it's on flat ground. I can only imagine how it would have been off road. Looking back, there are other options I could've done, such as slider boxes instead of shackles. But if I did that I would've wanted to protect them by doing shackle reversal, and that would've eliminated my rear stretch. Shorter shackles weren't really an option since I could maybe lower it by an inch or two. Plus I knew that I wanted to high fender anyway so this just seemed like the logical answer.

Mine is SOA and it gets to be a pain to get in sometimes but I like the extra clearance, rarely do I hit things and I beat mine. Shackle reversal would be nice, I hit mine on all sorts of stuff, I might do it when I go through and fix a few things. Yours will be easier to set up and keep from getting axle wrap and all that nonsense. I faught with mine for about a year trying to fix all the weird stuff SOA did.

Are you making your own driveshafts or buying them? I've been making my own for years now and it has saved me a bunch plus I can easily make up a few spares.

Yeah a RuffStuff antiwrap bar is in the mail right now :D Hopefully I don't even need it, but at least I'll have it if I do need it. I may actually shop around for some 1" - 2" lift springs, but it'll be pieced together since they're S10 and CJ7. I'm having Border Parts fix them. Both are from Tom Woods but needed fixed when I lifted then lowered the Jeep. If I would've just kept spring under the whole time I would've been able to just keep the original lengths :ROFLMAO:

Just bastard pack yours for the lift.

Pretty much lol. I might stretch the rear another inch but that's about it. If anything I'll push the front axle out about 8" - 10" but that's not for a long time. I would like to have it a few inches forward now but that's a lot of work and a lot of money. And a repeat of everything I just did a few months ago. So probably not going to happen.

Front stretch is easy. If you have a little fav skill. And pretty much free.

Finally got my spare tire carrier built correctly. I tried using some grade 8 bolts but I couldn't get them lined up just right. So I bought some short little wheel studs. Worked great.
0916161621.jpg

Also got the beadlocks installed correctly. 128 bolts at 20 ft-lbs is painstaking to say the least.
0916161729.jpg

Drove it to a GenRight 4x4 meetup in Santee, about 7 miles of surface streets. On the way there the fuel pump relay didn't want to play, so Jeff pushed me with his YJ to a side road. Wiggled some wires and it fired back up. On the drive home, it died about 3 or 4 times. This was happening a few months ago but I thought I had the wiring fixed. Apparently not. So that'll need some attention. Also when I pulled back in the driveway that night, the alternator died. Volt gauge read less than 8. So that's another box on the list. That night I threw it on the charger, came back the next day and it fired right up so at least the battery is still fine. Almost immediately one of my fuel lines burst and started spraying gas on the ground. So I shut it off, cursed at it, and will figure out where the leak is this weekend. All in all shouldn't be too bad.

I've known this for awhile, but the motor needs some work. It has a pretty noisy tick. I am no expert by any means but I think it's a lifter sticking. I'm not sure how I want to tackle this, but I'm thinking I might give it to a shop and have them just do a good once over on the whole motor. At this point I don't have the time to figure it out myself and I'd really like to go wheeling this season, for the first time in 9 years.

So on the right now list:
Fuel line
Alternator
Fuel pump relay

On the short list:
Motor tick
Alignment
Tire balancing
Add a leaf
Front fenders

On the next off season list:
New fuel cell under the tub
Some sort of stereo / center console
Rear cargo area storage box / dog holster. She isn't really a fan of the rocks and needs something to hold her tight.

Latest posts

Back